On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 06:27:22AM +0100, Graham Murray wrote:
> nap...@squareownz.org writes:
>
> > Postgres doesn't have a home directory and if I create one and chown it
> > postgres:postgres I still can't do anything. I'm totally at a loss here.
>
> Postgres should have a home directory - /var/lib/postgresql
>
> If you run su - postgres, this is the directory you should be in.

Ah okay, I've changed it back to this then. I do indeed enter there now.
I've emerged it without threads or pam as I suspected it may have been
either of them but that hasn't seemed to solve much of anything.

The current error I'm getting is:
# /etc/init.d/postgresql-9.1 start
 * Starting PostgreSQL ...
 * start-stop-daemon: did not create a valid pid in
 * `/var/lib/postgresql/9.1/data/postmaster.pid'
 * Check the PostgreSQL 9.1 log for a detailed explanation of the
 * above error.                [ !! ]

Which is what happens when start-stop-daemon fails to execute its
command. I'm not entirely sure what start-stop-daemon is or what
permissions it may need or be missing so I'm about to look into that.

I seem to be getting somewhere at least.

Thanks again for the help!