On 05/02/2012 11:39 PM, Raffaele BELARDI wrote:

> One month ago I switched to an Nvidia-based (ASUS GT520, PCI-e) video
> card on an ~amd64 box. I immediately had problems with the latest Nvidia
> driver causing a segfault when X started

I make this ridiculous suggestion only because you're still having trouble.

The ebuild for the proprietary ati-drivers includes this advice:

 "If you experience unexplained segmentation faults and kernel crashes"
 "with this driver and multi-threaded applications such as wine,"
 "set UseFastTLS in xorg.conf to either 0 or 1, but not 2."

Hey, how much time can you waste testing it with nvidia-drivers ;)