Dale writes:

> When I first built this rig, I ran into this issue as well.  What I did
> was tell smplayer, in my case, to cache more of the video.  I have mine
> set to cache 6Mbs and it plays fine even on HD videos.

I have cache = 131072 and cache-min=20.0 in .mplayer/config. That's
128MB, this should be enough. Got this hint by James Broadhead some
months ago in this thread.

> Also, there was a thread a good while back with this issue and their fix
> was to do a emerge -e world with everything optimized for their CPU and
> such.  May be worth thinking about at least.

That was Walter Dnes, also in thos thread. But everything should be quite
optimized here, with:
 CFLAGS="-pipe -march=amdfam10 -O2 \
         -floop-interchange -floop-strip-mine -floop-block \
         -msse -msse2 -msse3 -msse4a -msse4.1 -msse4.2 -m3dnow \
         -mcx16 -msahf -maes -mpclmul -mpopcnt -mabm -mlwp -mavx \
         --param l1-cache-size=16 \
         --param l1-cache-line-size=64 \
         --param l2-cache-size=2048"

And I do not have high CPU load when playing movies.

        Wonko