On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 1:47 AM, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As some know, I'm planning to buy me a LARGE hard drive to put all my
> videos on, eventually.

Hi Dale,
   One thing I wanted to point out about the task you have in front of
you. There is a problem in your work statement here and it really
comes down to one single one letter word. That word was 'a', as in
"buy me _a_ LARGE hard drive"

   No matter what drive you purchase, and no matter how well you treat
it, they all fail eventually and you lose your movies & all the time
it takes to put it back together again. At a minimum, if you plan on
buying one to use then you need to buy a _second_ drive to do backups
of the first. You need to rsync that second drive on a regular basis
and then disconnect it and put it in a different place in the house,
or even better, store it in a safety deposit box to protect against
theft or your house burning down, etc.

   This sort of comment certainly goes for the system as a whole, but
at a seasoned Gentoo user I'm sure you're doing that already. ;-) Just
don't forget to do the same for this new drive.

Have fun,
Mark