A. Khattri wrote:
I had a Maxtor drive die just after the one-year warranty expired. We had
one server with Maxtors that died twice in one year.

Because of this, we now have a "Seagate-only" policy for hard-drives -
they may cost a bit more but they're reliable and many come with a three
year warranty.

I also had a bad experience with Maxtor, though I admit I've only bought one in my life. But friends have also reported problems with Maxtore too. Ended up with the same read-only problem as the OP. It predictably occurred weekly after the emerge sync in cron.

I use Seagate for SCSI, and WD for IDE/SATA and have never had a problem with either.