Well,

I just got this new HP A8 laptop.

After setting up the default windows, I modified
the bios boot order to use the internal DVD. Then
I  inserted a 12.0 lived DVD. It put for
small gentoo symbols across the top, then went
blank after 3 minutes. The DVD drive was very active
for about 5 minutes then silence?

Any suggestions or install guides are most welcome.
It's been a few years since I installed Gentoo on
a laptop and lots has change. Right now, I'm downloading
the 12.1 liveDVD to see if it will boot that. Both
were the amd64-multilib version. The lived DVD work
on other (older) 64amd machines I have.....
If not then its on to to knoppix or ubuntu to
see it will boot any linux distro.

Years ago, when I last did a dual boot install, there
was a windows method for shrinking the windows
partition. Then I repartitioned the drive and put
gentoo on those new partitions. Has that approached,
using grub changed?  The guides I seen to be finding
via google, look dated.

It a dv7 model AtB11UA (6C23CL?) from Costco. I got a week
or 2 to get the dual boot working correctly, or it
goes back to Costco; so any advice is welcome.

Any feedback is welcome.