On 16 May 2012, at 23:29, john wrote:
> I have changed by use flag for ffmpeg to include theora. When i try
> emerge I get the following
>
> [blocks B      ] media-video/ffmpeg ("media-video/ffmpeg" is blocking
> media-video/libav-0.8.2)
>
> * Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
> * installed at the same time on the same system.
>
>  (media-video/ffmpeg-0.10.2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
>  pulled in by media-video/ffmpeg required by @selected
>
>  (media-video/libav-0.8.2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled
>  in by
>> =media-video/libav-0.8.1[X,encode,-jpeg2k,-mp3,-sdl,-theora,-threads,-truetype,-vaapi,-vdpau,-x264]
>  required by (virtual/ffmpeg-0.10.2-r1::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for
>  merge)

In addition to Alan's answer, note here that the above output lists
media-video/ffmpeg and also virtual/ffmpeg.

Unless you only installed ffmpeg for the first time recently then I'd guess you
originally installed media-video/ffmpeg (and that's what you have in your world
file).

If you were to install ffmpeg today you would install virtual/ffmpeg instead,
which is provided by either media-video/ffmpeg or media-video/libav.

Best thing to do is to remove video/ffmpeg from world in favour of
virtual/ffmpeg so that Portage can work things out for itself.

Stroller.