Andrew Lowe writes:

>       I've just kicked off an "emerge -NuD world" and will now head
> out for a while. My emerge has to do, amongst others, gcc, libreoffice,
> Firefox & Thunderbird. Now when I get back I'll want to know where the
> emerge is up to so, in my ignorance of portage/emerge in great depth
> and with only compiler output spewing up the screen, I'll fire up
> another terminal, and now don't laugh, I'll do "emerge --pretend -NuD
> world". That will tell me what's currently being compiled as it will be
> the top thingy on the list. There has to be a better way....

Using the --jobs / -j option to emerge will give a nice output, omitting
all the compiler output. It can also speed up emerging, because it will
build packages in parallel. I really really like this feature.

>       Is there a way so that the terminal that the emerge is
> happening in can display additional info? At the moment, I get:
>
> /home/agl: emerge
>
> can I get, say:
>
> /home/agl: emerge www-client/firefox
>
> by setting some config variable?

Yes, but I do not know how.

> Failing that is there a log file that
> lists just what's been emerged, not a whole lot of "checking this,
> checking that, compiling this file, linking that library, whoops, error
> here..." sort of thing.

tail -f /var/log/emerge.log, or better emerge app-portage/genlop, then
use genlop -l | tail.

        Wonko