On 3/06/2012 10:54 PM, YoYo Siska wrote:
On Sat, Jun 02, 2012 at 02:44:31AM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
On Sat, Jun 02, 2012 at 02:08:39PM +0800, Andrew Lowe wrote

        Is there a way so that the terminal that the emerge is happening in can
display additional info? At the moment, I get:

/home/agl: emerge

can I get, say:

/home/agl: emerge www-client/firefox

Are you using konsole ? As walter said, emerge sets the title of the
shell/terminal window to include the current package, however konsole
does not (by default) show the titles set by programs, but is configured
to only show the working dir and command name...

Just go to Settings ->  Edit current profile ->  Tabs  (tab ;) and
you will see two things: Tab title format and Remote tab title format
(the defautl for the first is '%d: %n' == 'current dir: current
command', which is exactly what you wrote), just change them to '%w' and
you will get what every other decent terminal app shows ;) (you can
click the "Insert" dropdown to see other options)

yoyo

Yoyo,
You've hit the nail on the head here. I am indeed using konsole, not xterm, and this will give me exactly what I want.

Thanks to everyone else for their suggestions as well, some of which I'll have to look into, in particular the logging.

        Andrew