On 06.06.2012 12:25, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> I wish to build a binary package of glibc-2.14.1-r3.  I don't want to
> actually install it on my system.  Just build a tbz2 for it to use on
> another system.  Is there a way to do that?  Portage aborts when
> emerging an older glibc and won't let you proceed, so I can't just
> install it normally and them build a binpkg.

you should be able to use:

ebuild <path-to-ebuild>/glibc-2.14.1-r3.ebuild package

Quoting the manpage:

package
              This command is a lot like the merge command, except that
after fetching, unpacking,  com‐
              piling and installing, a .tbz2 binary package tarball is
created and stored in PKGDIR (see
              make.conf(5)).

You may need to set PKGDIR.

WKR