On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 16:18:02 +0200
Michael Scherer <a6702...@unet.univie.ac.at> wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 04:52:35 -0400
> Andrey Moshbear <andrey....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 11:41 AM, Michael Scherer
> > <a6702...@unet.univie.ac.at> wrote:

> > > in any case, I'd need some more information:
> > > the link to your .config is broken, I only get an empty page.
> > > if the kernel is involved, output of dmesg and rc.log would
> > > be needed to.
> > >
> > > by the way, did you anything with your ACCEPT_KEYWORDS?
> > > if not, the best thing would be set it simply ="" (and
> > > afterwards --update world, --depclean and revdep-rebuild),
> > > but that's up to you.
> > >
> > > please send me the requested information, otherwise it's
> > > difficult to find out what's wrong.
> > >

> > Also, I've noticed that that radeon.ko autodetection configures it
> > as a RS780, whereas, according to motherboard documentation, it
> > should be RS880 (780G vs 785G).
> > This may be a reason for crashing, since the video card dies due to
> > being supplied bad microcode.
> >

> according to the gentoo manual, under "device drivers-graphics-
> support for framebufferdevices" you should uncheck
> -everything- except "enable video mode handling helpers".
> instead of uvesafb in the kernel parameters you may use
> "radeondrmfb", if anything at all.
>
> from the Xorg radeon page:
> "First of all check that you don't load radeonfb, uvesafb or vesafb
> module. This includes no vga parameters for kernel when using KMS.
> Console is provided by fbcon and radeondrmfb frame buffer console. So
> it is best to make sure that fbcon module is loaded"
>
> disabling vesa also should rid you of uvesa messages in Xorg.0.log.
>
> the rs880 and configuring as rs780 is indeed probably at the root
> of your troubles. seems that you got the wrong firmware. I have
> found other postings with the exact same problem, but as yet
> no clear solution. I'll see what I can find and let you know.
>
> regards, michael

if you haven't solved your problem already, there are two
possibilities you coud try:
one is using the Radeon R600-family RLC microcode: radeon/R600_rlc.bin
(without something else). this should include the rs880.
another option might be to download firmware-linux-nonfree from
http://packages.debian.org/de/squeeze/firmware-linux-nonfree
some people seem to have used it successfully, but I don't
know if it works on gentoo.

sorry that I can only guess on this, not having an rs880 myself.
isn't someone on gentoo users with a similar configuration who
could give you better advice?

regards, michael