On 8/26/05, Frank Schafer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 07:50 +0200, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 25. August 2005 18:21 schrieb ext Willie Wong:
>
> > Your best bet is to get someone your trust to boot into single for you
> > and reset the password there.
>
> Single wouldn't work, You still get a login: prompt. The only ways to get at
> it are LiveCD or booting with "init=/bin/bash".
>
> Bye...
>
>       Dirk

Right. Due to the fact that he got a new password, I think they did it
exactly that way (LifeCD or boot disc).

There is no official hack to get the password out of the machine. It is
nowhere stored in uncrypted form and the crypting algorithm itself is
not reversable.

Not the best way to do it, but getting the crypted form of the root pass and using it for a brute-force attack wouldn't get a good result? By good result I mean a positive match within a short period of time! Of course I assume for that, that he had an idea of what was the password like.. number of characters, use of symbols, and so, so that he could apply the attack as nearer of the real pass as possible.. would this be a possible way to do it?