On 06/30/2012 05:50 AM, Dale wrote:

Thanks.  Now more questions.  I have read about this a few times but
never quite figured it out.  I copy the bzImage and name it bzImage-*
because that is what it is named when I type make etc to build a
kernel.  Is there a difference between bzImage and vmlinux?  If it is,
is it safe to rename it like that or will it break something?  If I need
a vmlinux kernel instead of a bzImage, where is that thing?  I have
looked and I don't have one on mine here.  Maybe I am missing
something.  Google didn't find me anything either.

As someone else said, the spelling. For grub-mkconfig to recognize it as a kernel
the default names should begin with "vmlinuz-" or "kernel-"
For my gentoo disk, I rename the bzImage to gentoo.<XYZ> where the XYZ is the kernel version number. I hand mung the grub.cfg (still legacy grub) in the usual fashion. I will probably migrate to grub2 pretty quick next time I play with the gentoo install.

Grub2 grub-mkconfig os-prober method recognizes grub legacy configs and builds proper
menuentry stanzas as needed.

I'm using multiple discs for booting my system. The first drive (BIOS default) is a Win7 native, but I use the BIOS "boot menu" options to usually boot grub2 from another drive. This drive's grub.cfg contains all of my linux installations, which are spread around 4 different drives.

--
G.Wolfe Woodbury (redwo...@gmail.com)