Helmut Jarausch writes:

> modern fdisk puts the first partition at block 63  while older version
> have put it at block 1.

No, it's older versions that use 63, while the new fdisk uses 2048. This
way the new 4K sectors of huge drives are aligned well. It does not
need to be 2048, as long as it's dividable by 8. But fdisk apparently does
not allow smaller values.

> Now, I'm going to upgrade an older system.
> Is it safe to repartition it by letting the first partition start 63
> and shortening the first partition by 62 blocks?
>
> (I will loose the first partition which doesn't matter in my case.)

I thought this would work, but I'm not sure now. But why do you want to
change the partition start anyway?

        Wonko