William Kenworthy writes:

> On Thu, 2012-07-05 at 14:24 +0200, Philipp Riegger wrote:
> > On 05.07.2012 14:00, William Kenworthy wrote:
> > > Any hints where to look next as the gdm logs arent very informative.
> >
> > Hmm, do you have a user polkitd with invalid home directory
> > in /etc/passwd?

> Not polkitd but a polkituser - what should I have?
>
> polkituser:x:118:1021:added by portage for
> polkit:/dev/null:/sbin/nologin

I have a similar entry, but with UID 991. But I wonder why you don't have
a polkitd user. Maybe this is your problem? The entry should be like
this, at least for sys-auth/polkit-0.106-r7:

polkitd:x:129:991:added by portage for
polkit:/var/lib/polkit-1:/sbin/nologin

For me, it's still set to /var/empty, which also seems to work. When the
directory was /dev/null, one of the symptoms was Gnome3 refusing to
start. But maybe my setup is different because I'm on ~amd64, and the
polkitd user has been introduced by a version of polkit later than yours.

        Wonko