On Thu, 5 Jul 2012 20:34:12 -0700
Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Replying on Kindle. Short suggestion is recreate
> /var/lib/portage/world by hand by adding what you know you want
> installed.

AFAIK, Gentoo does not have a script or an option to back up the
world file and other associated files.

After I finish even a small update, I will run my own script
to copy /var/lib/portage and /var/db/pkg to another drive for
safekeeping.  There may not be much point in doing so.  If my
main HDD fails I will have to reinstall the entire OS, but
just in case of some freak accident that may affect the world
file I will make the backup.

My whole system I will backup once a week, and all very important
new data will be backed up (almost) immediately.

Frank Peters