On Sat, Jul 07 2012, walt wrote:

> On 07/06/2012 05:35 PM, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
>> I have one network (a linksys) to which all my devices are attached.
>>
>> I have two laptops running ~amd64 and one desktop running amd64.
>> I have one scanner, an hp officejet 7310 that is (wired) ethernet
>> attached.
>>
>> When I try xsane from either laptop I receive the popup saying that no
>> devices are found.  From the desktop all is well.
>>
>> I can print to the 7310 from all three machines.
>> I can ping the 7310 from all machines.
>
> That's pretty strange, for sure.  I assume you have cups and hplip on
> all three?

Yes.

> When I use a web browser on localhost:631 I can see two printers on each
> machine: hp_LaserJet_3015 and hp_LaserJet_3015_fax. (No 3015_scanner, but
> I figure the 'fax' doubles as the scanner.)
>
> Do you have the 'fax' device on your laptops?

Interesting.  I set up the desktop printing several years ago and don't
really use it (except yesterday to confirm that xsane would fail, but it
succeeded).

Cups on the desktop says (ignoring another device, a p2055 laser printer)

Queue name      Description        location           Make and model

Officejet_7300  found by hp-setup  found by hp-setup   HP Officejet 7300 Series
                                                       hpcups 3.9.12

ss              hp 7310 on ss      South Salem network HP Officejet 7300 Series
                                                       hpcups 3.9.12

I guess this means I added it both via cups and via hp-setup.  No
explicit mention of fax.  I am loath to mess with this until I get some
success elsewhere as it is my only way to scan.

On one laptop (again ignoring P2055) I had just

ss            HP OfficeJet 7300    local lan           HP Officejet 7300 Series
                                                       hpcups 3.12.4

This is a cups install as I recall that that I couldn't get hp-setup to
work.  I tried hp-setup again and it prints

  -error: Unable to communicate with device (code=12):
  hpfax:/net/Officejet_7300_series?zc=HPCC9932
  error: Unable to communicate with the device. Please check the device
  and try again.

I choose cancel and see the box with Printer Setup and Fax Setup,
the latter checked

If I click "add printer", hp-setup fails with the same msg as above.

However, CUPS now see both devices (plain and _fax) like yours.

xsane changes as well.  Instead of "no devices" I get
"Failed to open device `hpaio:/net/Officejet_7300_series?zc1HPCC((32':
Invalid argument."

Moreover the new printer entry in cups fails to print a test page (the
old, cups-installed, entry continues to work).

Thanks for your help.
allan