James wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have an old firewall (3 ether ports) on a amd K6 166MHz
>machine. It ran OpenBSD just fine, but, it's long overdue for
>a upgrade. I was considering Gentoo, but, with only 128 meg
>of ram, this old, tired machine might not be up to it.
>
>Is there a solution using Gentoo? Maybe a binary installation,
>specific for firewalls? I could use Debian(sarge) but
>I'd rather use gentoo, or a gentoo derivative. I'm not
>sure I'm ready to build everything on another machine
>and transfer it over, but I could use distcc during
>installation and to support maintenance compililations?
>
>An easy path to a (gentoo)firewall from an installation CD
>would be keen. A firewall is all the machine has to do.
>
>Ideas and thoughts?
>
>James

Hi,
Think you could check "home router" doc in Docs-section on w.g.o, but it
seems you only need a kernel, iptables and optionally some
firewall-config-system if you use such (shorewall comes in mind ;)
Could use a minimal system after install + logger, cron, etc. Check
iptables deps to see.
Plus use distcc if too slow.
HTH. Rumen