On Sun, 22 Jul 2012 19:18:44 +0200, Jarry wrote:

> I want to backup my whole hard-drive (8 partitions) with:
> # dd if=/dev/sda | gzip > /path/image.gz
>
> In order to achieve good compression level I'd like to wipe
> out all empty space with zeros. How can I do that?

It may be worth your while looking at partimage (which can also image
whole drives). It only copies used sectors so avoids the problem of
storing obsolete data. I believe Clonezilla uses partimage, and you'd
have to use a live CD to image a system drive like this anyway.

--
Neil Bothwick

War does not determine who is right -- only who is left.