* Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org> [120723 17:48]:
>   My ISP emails invoices+receipts as PDF files.  Thay made a change in
> the "mime type" earlier this year that makes things more difficult...
>
> Before
> ======
> [-- Attachment #2: blah_blah_blah.pdf --]
> [-- Type: application/pdf, Encoding: base64, Size: 47K --]
>
> [-- application/pdf is unsupported (use 'v' to view this part) --]
>
> After
> =====
> [-- Attachment #2: blah_blah_blah.pdf --]
> [-- Type: application/octet-stream, Encoding: base64, Size: 79K --]
>
> [-- application/octet-stream is unsupported (use 'v' to view this part) --]
>
>   With "Type: application/pdf" I hit "v" and epdfview brought up the
> document.  With "Type: application/octet-stream" I have to save the
> attachment and manually open with epdfview.  Mime-type is useless in
> this situation.  Is there a way to force the file to be opened based on
> extension rather than mime type?
>
> --
> Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>

I think you could use something like mutt.octet.filter (There's a perl
version at http://www.davep.org/mutt/mutt.octet.filter.pl) to handle
application/octet-stream mime types.

It uses file to try to determine the proper type and can then use
whatever is in your mailcap to determine what to run.

It should be pretty easy to extend it to match on filename if you really
wanted to.

Todd