Am 10.08.2012 08:56, schrieb Jesús J. Guerrero Botella:
> It could be anything. Maybe some orphaned process was running in the
> background and leaking ram, or something. It's futile to speculate now
> about that.
>
> Also, the -recently added- "pgo" USE flag could have something to do
> with that. Not sure, since I didn't bother to investigate it's true
> purpose on firefox.

It does two compilations with a headless firefox benchmark in between.
Except of doubling the compilation time, there is little difference in
the compilation itself.

> I really don't think that the kernel has changed in a significant way
> in this regard since the latests 2.6.x releases. But I certainly
> didn't read *all* the kernel changelogs.

The latest thing of any significance I can think of is the removal of
lumpy reclaim in 3.4 which has something to do with reducing memory
fragmentation in systems under memory stress. LWN has a subscriber-only
article about the change causing performance regressions. From my
understanding of the code, I doubt it could cause an improvement in this
particular situation.

Regards,
Florian Philipp