Am 13.08.2012 16:52, schrieb Michael Mol:
> On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 10:42 AM, Michael Hampicke
> <mgehampi...@gmail.com <mailto:mgehampi...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         Have you indexed your ext4 partition?
>
>         # tune2fs -O dir_index /dev/your_partition
>         # e2fsck -D /dev/your_partition
>
>     Hi, the dir_index is active. I guess that's why delete operations
>     take as long as they take (index has to be updated every time)
>

> 1) Scan for files to remove
> 2) disable index
> 3) Remove files
> 4) enable index
>
> ?
>
> --
> :wq

Other things to think about:

1. Play around with data=journal/writeback/ordered. IIRC, data=journal
actually used to improve performance depending on the workload as it
delays random IO in favor of sequential IO (when updating the journal).

2. Increase the journal size.

3. Take a look at `man 1 chattr`. Especially the 'T' attribute. Of
course this only helps after re-allocating everything.

4. Try parallelizing. Ext4 requires relatively few locks nowadays (since
2.6.39 IIRC). For example:
find $TOP_DIR -mindepth 1 -maxdepth 1 -print0 | \
xargs -0 -n 1 -r -P 4 -I '{}' find '{}' -type f

5. Use a separate device for the journal.

6. Temporarily deactivate the journal with tune2fs similar to MM's idea.

Regards,
Florian Philipp