Am 05.09.2012 17:39, schrieb Mark Knecht:
> Hi,
>    I'm sort of glazing over & falling asleep trying to understand the
> Gentoo genkernel Wiki page. This is not critical time-wise. I'm just
> curious about what genkernel could do in terms of creating a kernel &
> an initramfs for a root partition on RAID > 1 and metadata > 0.9. I've
> done this in the past by hand but I've tended to stay away from / on
> RAID > 1 simply because of the work of creating and maintaining the
> initramfs.
>
>    If someone has a gnekernel.conf file that might be of interest I'd
> appreciate seeing it, along with how you run it from the command line.

This is the config I have been using on systems with / on RAID1 or RAID5
(metadata > 0.9). With genkernel it's pretty simple, just specify these
two lines:

##########
# Includes mdadm/mdmon binaries in initramfs.
# Without sys-fs/mdadm[static] installed, this will build a static mdadm.
MDADM="yes"

# Specify a custom mdadm.conf.
# By default the ramdisk will be built *without* an mdadm.conf and will
auto-detect
# arrays during bootup.  Usually, this should not be needed.
MDADM_CONFIG="/etc/mdadm.conf"

Just make sure you're mdadm.conf reflects your current raid setup. If
you don't set MDADM_CONFIG the initramfs should auto asseble the RAID,
but I have never used that. I don't trust it enough :)

Last thing you need to do is pass the domdadm kernel parameter in your
bootloader. With grub to you just edit /etc/default/grub

        GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="domdadm"

Then regenerate your grub config.