Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 9:20 AM, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> OK.  Step by step here so hopefully you and Neil can follow.
>>
>> Freshly booted system.
>> Clear caches just to be sure
>>
>> emerge foo with portages work directory on tmpfs
>> clear caches again
>> emerge foo with portages work directory on disk
>> clear caches again.
>> emerge foo with portages work directory on tmpfs
>> clear caches again
>> emerge foo with portages work directory on disk
> I think, based on what the others are saying, that for you to more
> accurately test it, you should not use "emerge" but rather use
> "ebuild" to run (and time) the individual steps involved in emerging a
> package (unpacking, preparing, compiling, installing), clearing disk
> caches in-between each step. So, for example, after sources are
> unpacked to tmpfs, clear caches before compilation begins -- this way
> the source files have to be read from disk rather than from cache/RAM.

I didn't want to do it that way because how many people actually update
their system that way?  I wanted to test doing the same way any other
person would normally do a emerge.  I suspect that 99% of users just
type emerge foo and let emerge do it.

I kind of get what they are saying but at the same time using tmpfs
doesn't matter.  Once the tarball is read off the drive, it doesn't
matter whether portage is run on a tmpfs or not.  The only way it would
is if you ran out of ram and it started using swap.  That I disabled
because we all know that when you use swap, it's all over.  Who in their
right mind wants to compile a large program and use a LOT of swap?  I
hope nobody.  lol

Dale

:-)  :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how
you interpreted my words!