Hi,

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005, Justin Patrin wrote:

     Is there an easy way switch back my reiser4 partition to reiserfs without
reinstalling everything.

I suggest booting from a Gentoo CD. Make a tarball of the entire FS
you want to convert and either pipe it across the network or onto
another HD you can put in this machine. Reformat the partition.
Untarball the backup onto the newly formatted partition. You also need
to make sure you alter your fstab to mount the partition right (and
alter your grub or other boot config files accordingly as well).

Hm, short addition here: ...and don't forget to use tar's "p" option! BTW, I don't really know if the Gentoo CDs support Reiser4... But any LiveCD will do. In fact, one could simply remount the partition read-only for the running system and build the tarball. Using a tmpfs root system it would even be possible to unpack the tarball without any reboot. But for doing that, one has to read at least the pivot_root manpage and a ready chrootable system is needed, to. Gentoo's stages will most probably do a good job here.

-hwh