My new machine is working & compiles lightning-fast :
it feels like the driver of a steam engine hurtling down the tracks
(I've just finished a biography of J G Robinson, the UK loco designer).

I've just recompiled most of the pkgs listed by 'emerge -ep system',
but found a few problems :

(1) Gcc 4.5.4 seems to require USE="cxx", not the previous "-nocxx",
which was covered by "-*" at the beginning of my list in  make.conf .
4.5.4 compiled without "cxx" wouldn't recompile itself with "cxx" (!),
but I found I could get around the problem by emerging 4.4.5 ,
then using that to recompile 4.5.4 , after which 4.5.4 did recompile itself.
It doesn't hurt to have  > 1  version of Gcc installed.

(2) Libxml2 failed : I simply left it till tomorrow to find out why.

(3) Groff + Openssh have an "X" flag : is this useful ?
    Python has a "build" flag, which suppressed many deps,
    but now I'm back in my regular machine
    'euses' issues a grim warning vs setting it.

(4) The ancient distinction between 'world' / 'system'
    seems to have degenerated into chaos :
    some pkgs which clearly sb part of 'system' aren't,
    while others -- eg virtuals -- have been added.

Incidentally, I've found out why the system creates many TTYs :
they're the equivalent of GUI workspaces = desktops,
allowing someone working without X to view different files etc.
I'm continually struck by the genius of those who created UNIX in 1969 ...

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca