120913 Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 4:53 PM, Philip Webb <purs...@ca.inter.net> wrote:
>> Yes, the 3.4.9 .config has nearly all of those.
>> However, I'm not sure that your logic is the right way round (smile):
>> something is telling Kernel + Udev to recognise only a 3.0 mouse,
>> whereas Mageia/SR recognise a 2.0 mouse ; the mouse is 2012 ,
>> so perhaps it will function either way, depending on software.
>> Why would K+U not recognise a 2.0 mouse ?
> I would run lsusb in both scenarios.

I'll try to remember tomorrow, but I doubt it will say anything new.

> Check dmesg for usb-related things from bootup.

I did that & described the result in an earlier msg.

> Check that the ports are enabled in BIOS if it's a new motherboard.

Both ports must be enabled, as the other  2  distros find the mouse.

The effect is quite bizarre & it was the gods who saved me :
if I hadn't happened to plug the mouse into the neighbouring port,
I could have spent days struggling to find out what was wrong
& even taken the mobo back to the store as defective.

Both Mageia -- installed from USB stick in a partition on the HDD --
& System Rescue show  /dev/input/mouse0  after booting ;
in the case of SR it does it before I enter the GUI via 'wizard'.
They have no problem with the 2.0/1.1 port,
but the Gentoo system as I've installed it don't show  /dev/input/mouse0
from that port, but only if I plug the mouse into the 3.0/2.0 port.
Someone suggested it is caused by a Kernel .config setting,
which if enabled seems to force the system to look in the 3.0 port.
Why it should do that doesn't make much sense :
such upgrades are usually permissive, not restrictive.
BTW there's no difference between 3.4.9 & 3.5.3 .

>> That also suggests that if I plug a USB stick into those  2  back ports,
>> it will give faster transfer speed ; the front ports are 2.0/1.1 .
>> Is it safe to test that ? -- ie I don't want to ruin a stick.
> Unless it is an actual USB 3.0 stick -- blue plug --
> with fast enough flash memory inside,
> it won't make any difference as far as speed goes.
> The connectors are physically different, but backwards compatible.
> There is no danger in plugging in older USB devices into a USB 3.0 port.

None has a blue plug, so they all must be 2.0 .

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca