Hi all,
I've got a media server that I'm in the process of installing Samba on. When I do:

emerge -NuD --pretend samba

I get a list of stuff that portage wants to install, including Python, V2.7.3, even though the machine already has V3.2.3 installed. I've also stripped down the USE variables to basically "server" and that's all and still for some reason portage wants to bring in Python - the older version, V2. I've even added a "-python" to packages.use and it still wants python, V2. I've had a look at the USE variables for the packages that follow Python in the emerge list and they either don't want python or already have "-python" set.

Having a play around with equery also didn't reveal anything. Does anyone have any ideas as to what's causing old Python to be brought in? I haven't posted the whole "emerge --info" stuff yet as hopefully someone has come across this problem before.

        Any thoughts greatly appreciated,

                Andrew