On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 18:52:54 +0200
Silvio Siefke <siefke_lis...@web.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> can i copy the portage tree from my Notebook to the desktop PC?
>
> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Networkless_Maintenance
>
> I use this as help, but must i load the portage latest or can copy
> the tree from Notebook, because is up to date.
>

> Thanks for help.
>

> Regards
> Silvio

I don't know if this handles things like package renames that get
processed at the end of syncing.  Maybe emerge knows to do this on the
next run?  I haven't tried this way, can someone confirm?

One way that works is to uncomment the [gentoo-portage] entry in
/etc/rsync.conf on your laptop, start rsyncd, then point your desktop
to sync from your laptop with:

SYNC="rsync://ip.of.laptop.here/gentoo-portage"

in make.conf, and do an emerge --sync / eix-sync as normal.

Cheers,
Bryan