On 19/09/2012 23:50, Michael Mol wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 6:36 PM, Matt Harrison
> <iwasinnamuk...@genestate.com> wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> I know this isn't really in the remit of the list but I'm hoping there
>> is an expert lurking here somewhere. Does anyone have experience setting
>> up Jabber, especially with mu-conference?
>>
>> I'm trying to set it up for some colleagues but I'm running into a lack
>> of documentation, overly complicated configurations and a seemingly dead
>> project with mu-conference.
>>
>> The packages are still alive and well in portage, yet the site and
>> mailing list haven't been touched for some years.
>>
>> Does anyone know of an alternative text chat system with multi-user room
>> facilities? It needs to be separate from mainstream networks such as MSN
>> etc, have good ACL capabilities and must support SSL.
>>
>> Not really sure what to look at next, and after about 6 hours of
>> fighting with jabberd2 and muc, I'm about ready to give up with it.
>
> Of all the XMPP daemons, ejabberd has the best reputation. jabberd14,
> according to recent traffic on the -dev list, may be on its way out
> due to lack of a maintainer, so I wouldn't invest time into setting
> that up right now.

Thanks for the reply,

I did try ejabberd very briefly but it failed to start without giving
anything useful in the log. And I did follow the setup at the end of the
ebuild :)

I think it's just getting late so I'll probably try it again after some
rest. By the looks of it though, I'd still need a MU implementation, and
that doesn't seem easy to find.

thanks