Am 04.10.2012 12:37, schrieb Neil Bothwick:
> On Thu, 04 Oct 2012 10:25:53 +0200, Michael Hampicke wrote:
>
>> I am using http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/ (in portage) which brings
>> some nice features like compression, de-duplication and a web interface.
>> Once configured it runs automatically.
>
> +1 for BackupPC
>
>> What do you use for cloud/offsite backups? I am still searching for the
>> perfect solution. Requirements: backups must be encrypted, delta-sync,
>> and being able to resume interrupted transfers to the offsite location.
>
> I have a Python script that uses a combination of dar,
> to create encrypted backups locally, and boto to upload them to S3. I used
> duplicity some years ago and found it consumed enormous amounts of
> bandwidth, more than my ISP provided at the time.

Hm, dar looks interesting. I'll have a look at it. The man page states
that it is possible to restore individual files from an dar archive
without reading the complete file (in contrast to tar). Is this also
true when using compression and/or encryption? Would be a great feature
for fast single file restores (Just mount the offsite location with
sshfs or similar and tell dar to restore file25 from my 500GB backup
without having to transfer the whole damn thing :) )