On Fri, 2012-10-12 at 10:33 +0200, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> Am 12.10.2012 03:52, schrieb Bill Kenworthy:
> >
> > I am currently fighting this on a macbook air ... efi is crap, at least
> > the old grub was much easier to fix when it went wrong ...
> >
> > if you are using grub 2  (I tried refit/refind/grub2/efi kernel and
> > finally settled on grub2)
> >
> > try:
> > mount /boot
> > mount /boot/efi
> > `grub2-install --target=x86_64-efi`
> > `grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/gentoo/grub.conf`
> > # have to sort this out one day, which is it using?
> > `cp /boot/efi/EFI/gentoo/grub.conf /boot/grub2/grub.cfg`
> >
> > Sounds like your install line is what you are missing ...
>
> Thanks a lot, Bill, I will look into this later this day.
>
> What do mean by "install line" ?
>
> Stefan

The grub2-install command above - with efi you have to "announce" the
the information to boot with.  I look at it as similar to grub
installing into the MBR, but thats a very loose metaphor :)

The problem you are describing might be that this "announcement" is
missing/corrupted.

The EFI directory is Apples (this is a macbook air), the grub2-mkconfig
searches for all the bootable kernels and builds a menu for them.  I
think this is close to default efi in layout as "EFI" seems to be in the
spec.

BillK