On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 06:50:17 +0800
W.Kenworthy wrote:

> Not sure that is an official site ...
>
> The question came from a couple of posts where debian is showing ~17000
> packages and Fedora a couple of thousand less.  They were bemoaning the
> size of the install media.

Don't these people have access to the worldwideintarwebthingy? why
download media you don't need? just install the packages you want over a
network.

Where does the thousands come from with fedora? I count 965 source rpms
on a fedora mirror i looked at.

on the same mirror there were 1483 binary rpm's. of those 299 have
"devel" in the filename, so will have been from a "split" build - ie one
foo.src.rpm may become foo.i386.rpm, foo-devel.i386.rpm,
foo-xorg.i386.rpm, foo-doc.i386.rpm etc.

This filter shows me how many binary rpm's have unique names up the the
first hyphen, :

 grep i386.rpm fedora.filelist |cut -d- -f1|sort|uniq|wc -l

which gives 693 - but I don't know if thats an accurate way to tell if a
built package comes from the same source package.

But my real question is - how do you get thousands of fedora packages?
so you have to scratch around private repositories looking for the ones
with the stuff you want?

>The difference between distros is most
> likely little used packages, and the fact that rpm's for instance split
> headers and sometimes aux functions into separate packages,
> approximately doubling the package count.  I presume debian do the same.

yes they do. usually called -dev rather than -devel from what i can see.

--
Nick Rout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>