> > > That's too bad.  I thought the GPU on at least some of these boards
> > > was capable of smooth 1080p playback.  The Pandaboard ES claims "Full
> > > HD (1080p) multi-standard video encode/decode" but I suppose that
> > > doesn't mean it's stutter-free.
> > >
> > > http://pandaboard.org/content/pandaboard-es
> > >
> > > - Grant
> >
> > I had the same disappointment. I suppose 1080p is a rather variable
> > quantity - a konsole in 1080p is not exactly the same thing in terms of
> > computing requirement as Transformers3 :-)
> >
> > But what the heck, get yourself a Pi anyway and run OpenElec on it.
> > Improvements are constantly being made to the code, you might find it's
> > acceptable for your needs. And besides, it's always a thrill getting
> > that tiny little pcb running something useful.
>
> I think the Pandaboards actually can play 1080p video back smoothly as
long as hardware video decoding is enabled.  I've found several threads
with some Ubuntu users saying they can't get it to work and others
indicating that it works for them.  Here's one from February:

> https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/pandaboard/WMi6iwEutX4
>
> - Grant

Apparently the Raspberry Pi can play 1080p videos with omxplayer:

http://www.brianhensley.net/2012/07/how-to-get-1080p-videos-running-on-my.html

"Omxplayer is a video player specifically made for the Raspberry PI's GPU"

http://elinux.org/Omxplayer
http://gpo.zugaina.org/media-video/omxplayer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGUIePe32Bo

- Grant