121127 Randy Westlund wrote:
> I'm a new gentoo user coming from Ubuntu.

Welcome !

> I've been proving to myself that I can do everything I need with Gentoo
> on a secondary laptop, and after a few weeks, I think I've got it:
> svn repos, AVR cross compiler, multiple screens, etc.  I much prefer
> Gentoo to Ubuntu and would like to put it on my primary laptop,
> but I think I should leave an Ubuntu installation on there just in case.
> I'd like to have Gentoo, Ubuntu and Win7 alongside each other.
> How feasible would it be to have Gentoo and Ubuntu share a /home partition?

It's likely to cause problems after a short time,
as the  2  OS's will vary in the way they handle config files
& pkgs wb updated at different times & to different versions.

Try having separate homes, but symlink most of your subdirs in Ubuntu
-- since you are likely to stop using it soon -- to those in Gentoo.
The subdirs to symlink wb those which contain your personal stuff
-- documents, pictures, whatever -- , which won't vary with OS.

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca