I was setting up ssmtp but I realized it isn't being maintained and there
are a couple of alternatives called msmtp and dma.  Can anyone recommend
one of these over the other?

I don't like how ssmtp stores the mail password in clear text in its config
file.  It looks like msmtp can pull the password from gpg:

msmtp --passwordeval 'gpg -d mypwfile.gpg'

I don't have much experience with gpg.  Does this mean I can store the mail
password encrypted on each of my systems so it can be used in an automated
fashion to get mail onto my mail server?  Do I need to start gpg-agent and
enter a gpg keyring password whenever I reboot each of the systems?

Is this the best way to get email alerts from my various systems to my
email address?

- Grant