On Friday 07 Dec 2012 16:41:27 William Hubbs wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 07, 2012 at 09:24:54AM -0600, William Hubbs wrote:
> > I want to explain about the recent openrc's going directly to stable.
> >
> > The team had been testing from the previous stable, 0.9.x series all the
> > way through 0.10.x. We found out recently that releng needed the new
> > openrc stable because of the cds/isos being broken.
> >
> > There hadn't been bugs reported, so we started attempting to stabilize
> > 0.11.5 so that we could have a stable newer OpenRC for releng.
> >
> > When we started stabling, more regressions came up, so we had to  fix
> > those. That is why you are seeing several versions go to stable
> > directly on some arch's arch's.
> >
> > wrt 0.11.7, a couple of developers looked over the patches with me and
> > we did not see issues. 0.11.8 will be the very last one of these to go
> > stable. Please bear with me on this.
>
> Ok, this is the last update. 0.11.8 fixes the issue in 0.11.7, so you
> should not see any more quick pushes to stable. I take full
> responsibility for the issue in 0.11.7, and will work with the OpenRC
> team and QA to catch issues like this better in the future. Thanks for
> your patience.
>
> William

Still with 0.11.7 until 0.11.8 reaches the mirrors and noticed a long list of,
e.g.:

rm: cannot remove '/lib/rc/init.d/softscripts/consolefont': Read-only file
system

with the init.d services.  These messages show up straight after:

* /run/lock: creating directory
* /run/lock: correcting owner

I have not noticed anything wrong as a result of these messages with my system
on 2 boxen so far, i.e. services have started and are running normally.
--
Regards,
Mick