Hi,

I have a raid0 (kernel autodetect) array, over which I have put LVM
and then there are volumes on the LVM for /var, /tmp, swap and /home.

The problem is, raid0 array gets recognized, but localmount fails to
mount because lvm doesn't seem to start before localmount (due to my
root being on SSD, I can't watch the output of openrc easily).

For now I have added this to my rc.conf -
rc_localmount_before="lvm"
rc_localmount_need="lvm"
rc_lvm_after="localmount"

This fixes the problem, but localmount still executes before lvm and
terminates with operational error. Then lvm starts up and localmount
runs again successfully.

Any idea why this happens?

The localmount script in init.d has proper depends:

depend()
{
        need fsck
        use lvm modules mtab
        after lvm modules
        keyword -jail -openvz -prefix -vserver -lxc
}

--
Nilesh Govindrajan
http://nileshgr.com