Alan McKinnon wrote:
On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 18:28:37 +0530
Nilesh Govindrajan <m...@nileshgr.com> wrote:
Exactly the reason why I wanted RAID0 and LVM in combination: more
IOPS. ZFS looks very interesting, how stable is it?

On Linux, not at all (it doesn't exist there except using fuse)

On FreeBSD, rock solid.
On Solaris, rock solid.

It almost seems to be everything btrfs is not...

The details why this is the case are something I can never remember straight in my head, but I recall that it's due to licensing that ZFS cannot be included in the Linux kernel directly. I think it might be because the ZFS license doesn't have the Copyleft clause that the GPL requires?

It's sad, because ZFS is really pretty great. I think btrfs will be pretty great too once it is stabilized, so I look forward to that.

Also, I had seen some kernel patches that you can apply yourself to get ZFS in Linux without FUSE a year or two back. I never tried them, and can't attest to how stable or unstable they might be, but you could look into that as well.