Kevin Chadwick wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 22:32:24 +0200
> nunojsi...@ist.utl.pt (Nuno J. Silva) wrote:
>
>> My thanks, too! There's nothing like reading on some actual experience
>> with this. So this was once the reason to keep / separate. Not that
>> important anymore (but this is still no excuse to force people to keep
>> /usr in the same filesystem).
> Sorry but real world data is important and I am fully aware of the
> academic theorist problems compared to practical experience but this
> simply doesn't apply here. I didn't see any evidence or
> argument that a larger root conducting millions more writes is as safe
> as a smaller read only one perhaos not touched for months.
>
> The testing criteria were very generally put and just because an
> earthquake hasn't hit 200 building in the last 50 years is no reason to
> remove shock absorbers or other measures from sky scrapers.

Question.  A file system, /usr for example, is mounted read only.  The
system crashes for whatever reason such as a power failure.  Since it is
mounted read only, would there be a larger or smaller risk of corrupted
data on that partition?  From what I understand, the possible corruption
is from files not being written to the drive but since it is mounted
read only, then that removes that possibility.

Just checking on a thought here.

Dale

:-)  :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how
you interpreted my words!