My scheme is:
 100 M /boot on ext3 (I was going to store some other info there, but
its mostly "space" att)

 2G swap

 4G reiserfs with a complete, basic gentoo rescue install - if all goes
pear shaped, I have a backup including a functioning /boot on this
partition.  Particularly useful with things like a gateway: you can come
up on the rescue partition and provide near normal service/network
access while fixing the main problem in a chroot etc.  Maintenance of
this partition is done offline in a chroot so other than an occasional
test, its rarely run in its own right.

 4G / on reiserfs with /etc, /root etc

 remainder (200G is below, and on my main desktop system similarly
arranged I have 200G + an extra 60G drive) is all LVM
containing /home, /var, /tmp and /usr.

This system is mainly a LAMP server/gateway for a home network. it also
contains mostly file storage and backups in /home

moriah ~ # df -h
/dev/hda5             3.8G  2.2G  1.6G  59% /
udev                  252M  2.6M  249M   2% /dev
cachedir              3.8G  2.2G  1.6G  59% /lib/splash/cache
/dev/vg1/usr           32G  5.9G   27G  19% /usr
/dev/vg1/var           48G  2.3G   46G   5% /var
/dev/vg1/tmp           16G   33M   16G   1% /tmp
/dev/vg1/opt          4.0G  169M  3.9G   5% /opt
/dev/vg1/home          77G   26G   52G  34% /home
none                  252M     0  252M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/hda1              92M   18M   69M  21% /boot
/dev/hda3             3.8G  1.7G  2.1G  46% /mnt/hda3
moriah ~ #

There are probably performance issues, but they  are not noticeable in
practise.  hdparm actually shows a slight speed advantage for the LVM
partitions, but there are also error messages so I dont really trust it!

BillK