On Monday 29 August 2005 07:01 am, Michael Kintzios wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I was blanking a floppy but when I ran:
> ====================
> $ shred -u -v /dev/fd0
> ====================
> /dev/fd0 was dully deleted after the shred operation finished.  Rebooting
> the machine relaunched udev which recreated fd0 (is there another way to
> avoid having to reboot)?

Very seldom is a reboot requried in Linux. You can always run /sbin/udevstart
as root which will recreate the device nodes.

> On the second floppy I thought of avoiding unwittingly deleting the fd0
> node so I tried: ====================
> $ shred -u -v /dev/fd0/
> shred: /dev/fd0/: Not a directory
> ====================
> Or:
> ====================
> $ shred -u -v /dev/fd0/
> shred: /dev/fd0/*: Not a directory
>
> Is there a way of shredding a complete floppy (not just a file at a time)
> without removing the /dev/fd0 node?

As for your original question about shred I can't really help since I don't
use it.  And have no need for floppies anymore either.  Try man shred and see
what the man pages say.

--
Chris
Linux 2.6.12-gentoo-r9 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP