On 2012-12-19, Dale wrote:

> Bruce Hill wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 07:05:14PM -0600, Dale wrote:
[...]
>>> Here is two links if you want to try my weird way of doing this:
>>>
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XITHbsUUlYI
>>>
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2Innx3puNI
>>>
>>> I use downloadhelper to grab those then play them locally.  Both of
>>> those are available in 1080p tho.  Should warm up something.  ;-)
>>>
>>> Dale
>> Rather than downloadhelper and a web browser, try:
>>
>> mingdao@workstation ~/test $ youtube-dl
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XITHbsUUlYI
>> [youtube] Setting language
>> [youtube] XITHbsUUlYI: Downloading video webpage
>> [youtube] XITHbsUUlYI: Downloading video info webpage
>> [youtube] XITHbsUUlYI: Extracting video information
>> [download] Destination: XITHbsUUlYI.mp4
>> [download]  30.5% of 107.04M at    1.43M/s ETA 00:52
>
> Some videos are available in different resolutions.  Some have as many
> as 6 or 8 different ones.  With downloadhelper, you can pick which one
> you want.  I'm not sure if youtube-dl does or not.  Also, I download
> videos from lots of sites.  I don't actually use youtube a lot.

youtube-dl supports all the available formats, it just defaults to the
best quality one of the available for the chosen video. The -f parameter
takes as an argument the format number, see the list from Wikipedia,
http://enwp.org/YouTube#Quality_and_codecs

youtube-dl is also not youtube-specific.

--
Nuno Silva (aka njsg)
http://njsg.sdf-eu.org/