Florian Philipp wrote:
> Am 25.12.2012 16:41, schrieb Mark Knecht:
>> Hi,
>>    Merry Christmas to all.
>>
>>    Upgrading an external USB2 drive at home this Christmas morning to
>> 1TB for more video storage space. One large partition, non-raid, files
>> are around 1GB. The drive holds only static video files that get
>> written once and don't change or get erased. No MythTV stuff or
>> anything like that.
>>
>>    This disk reside on my main desktop machine and gets backed up
>> every couple of days to another USB2 drive (FAT formatted
>> unfortunately) which attaches to the TV.
>>
>>    With the previous local drive I used ext3 and have had no problems.
>> I'm just wondering if there's a better choice & why.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mark
>>
> Ext4 offers better performance for large files. This is especially
> notable when you remove them but other operations are faster, too. XFS
> would be the traditional large-file choice but since the arrival of
> Ext4, I don't see a point in putting up with its quirks anymore.
>
> Regards,
> Florian Philipp

For those who keep up with my adventures, I use ext4 for my home
directory which has a LOT of videos.  Some videos are small and some are
large but I can say this, it is really fast.  No fragmentation either.

I also use ext4 for my backup drive.  I accidentally deleted some stuff
one day and I can say this, it is VERY fast.  I'm just glad it was only
a backup.

I would second the idea for ext4.  It works great for me.

Dale

:-)  :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how
you interpreted my words!