On 2013-01-01, Stroller wrote:

> On 30 December 2012, at 11:39, Nuno J. Silva wrote:
>> The AVI container has been used by windows for a long time, so I'd say
>> chances are that it will work on more systems, but I can't say for sure.
>
> But h264 in an AVI is invalid.
>
> AVI is dated and just plain nasty.
>
> You should use something else (like h264 in an MP4) if you possibly can.

AVI is old, AVI has issues. AVI is not compatible with some
codecs. *But* AVI has been around for long enough to be supported by
many versions of Windows and Office, and what we're looking for here is
whatever offers the broadest support. I don't even think Windows (at
least up to 7) has a builtin h264 decoder. At least I remember having to
install codecs in Vista and 7 machines in order to view h264 Youtube
videos.

--
Nuno Silva (aka njsg)
http://njsg.sdf-eu.org/