The thread "Ethernet Machinations"
is finished and all ethernet issues
are resolved.

I'm starting a new thread as to deal with what to
do about udev. The same system mentioned in
the previous ethernet thread had become upgraded to
udev-196-r1 (late one night when I was tired
AND NOT THINKING TOO WELL...............
I have since been on a roller_coaster ride with
udev, almost eudev and version dev experimentations
as an accident...........

>From the last thread:
I don't know what version of udev you're running (sorry if I missed it,)
but the udev-186 elog says:
        "Upstream has removed the persistent-net and persistent-cd rules
         generator. If you need persistent names for these devices,
         place udev rules for them in /etc/udev/rules.d."

I just sync and I have only have these versions of udev:
 Available versions:  ~141-r1 ~146-r1^t ~149 ~151-r4 ~164-r2 171-r9 ~195^t
~196-r1^t **999

So unless somebody can give me good reason, I'm downgrading to
udev-171 asap on this (only) system running udev 196.......
(ps, I like to experiment, but not with udev et. al.)

I even thinking or running 'emerge -e system' just to ensure
nothing is missed?

Suggestions are most welcome.