> On 13 January 2013, at 06:53, Andrew Lowe wrote:
>       From all of the above, I think the important part is that I need to
> install some "glibc developement files". A google search doesn't point me
in
> the direction of what these might be. According to "eix glibc", I have
debug
> turned OFF - is this the problem?

The part about the "glibc development [sic] files" is mostly a red herring.
I'm not sure where it's coming from (I can't find that misspelling of
development in the portage source or any eclass, and it's not part of the
actual ebuild.)

The error happens any time the ekopath installation fails. AFAICT, the
ekopath ebuild doesn't really do anything except unpack the tarball and, in
the post-install step, run the binary installation program that ships with
ekopath. If anything at all happens when the installer is running, you get
the same error from portage. What is actually going wrong here is down the
bottom:

/usr/include/bits/byteswap.h: In function 'unsigned int
__bswap_32(unsigned int)':
/usr/include/bits/byteswap.h:46: error: '__builtin_bswap32' was not
declared in this scope
/usr/include/bits/byteswap.h: In function 'long long unsigned int
__bswap_64(long long unsigned int)':
/usr/include/bits/byteswap.h:110: error: '__builtin_bswap64' was not
declared in this scope

Last time I saw this is was because a package assumed I had gcc4.3 and I was
using an older version, but I highly doubt that's your problem.

One thing you can try is to run the installer manually. If you emerge the
package and let it fail, all the bits are left in the temporary work
folders, so you can do this:

cd /var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/ekopath-4.0.12.1_pre20121102/work
./ekopath-4.0.12.1_pre20121102.run --prefix
/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/ekopath-4.0.12.1_pre20121102/image/opt/ekopath

and walk through the installation manually. It's an agonizingly slow process
but it should work, or give you a better idea of what failed.

--Mike