On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 9:16 PM, Cinder <cin...@linuxwaves.com> wrote:
> Thank you Canek. No luck. Without an xorg.conf my /var/log/Xorg.o.log looks
> like this:

[ huge snip ]

> [  8532.166] (II) [drm] nouveau interface version: 1.0.0
> [  8532.166] (EE) No devices detected.

Nouveau complains about not finding your device, which I believe it
could only happen if the kernel driver is missing.

You originally used the NVidia binary drivers, or nouveau? If you use
the binary drivers, you need to remove nouveau from X.org (uninstall
xf86-video-nouveau) and from the kernel (make sure you don't have
CONFIG_DRM_NOUVEAU in your kernel). If you want to use the open source
nouveau driver, you need to remove nvidia-drivers, and install both
the X.org driver (install xf86-video-nouveau), and the kernel module
(set CONFIG_DRM_NOUVEAU in your kernel).

As far as I know, you should not mix them up. To make things more
clear, could you please post the output from "equery l -if
x11-drivers/", and also your kernel .config? Also, do you have
VIDEO_CARDS in /etc/portage/make.conf, and if so to which value?

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México