On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 2:48 PM, Jarry <mr.ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Gentoo-users,
> I always thought the right way to update everything was:
>
> emerge --update --deep --newuse world
> emerge --update --deep --newuse system
>
> When I try the above mentioned, nothing to update is found.
> Yet when I try i.e. "emerge --pretend nasm", I see:
>
> [ebuild     U  ] dev-lang/nasm-2.10.05 [2.10.01]
>
> So there is apparently update for dev-lang/nasm, yet it was
> not pulled when I tried to update the "world" or "system".
> And who knows for how many other ebuilds there is update
> available...
>
> So how can I update really *every* ebuild?

Well, terminology issue first.

An 'ebuild' is a file describing how the system handles a specific
version of a particular package. So what you probably want to do is
update every *package*.

And in answer...you've got it right. (Though I would use @world and/or
@system, rather than leaving off the @)

Why nasm isn't getting updated might have something to do with your
packages.mask file.

--
:wq