I have two x64 systems (one was originally a clone of the other, since
diverged) that have a problem with keyboard mapping.

The down and right arrow keys add a <CR> to each keypress, things like
double quotes have to be entered twice at the keyboard before they
appear in a document.  I think its a X problem as console is ok, and I
have tried quite a number of X guides with no success.  The system(s)
started with gnome 3 for a month, then moved to LXDE if that gives a
clue.  All I want is a normal english international keyboard with en_AU
language ...

BillK